Design and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Why cachexia kills: examining the causality of poor outcomes in wasting conditions.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2013; 4: 89-94
- Eating during hemodialysis treatment: a consensus statement from the International Society of Renal Nutrition and Metabolism.J Ren Nutr. 2018; 28: 4-12
- Nutritional management of chronic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1765-1776
- Food intake characteristics of hemodialysis patients as obtained by food frequency questionnaire.J Ren Nutr. 2002; 12: 17-31
- Dietary restrictions in dialysis patients: is there anything left to eat?.Semin Dial. 2015; 28: 159-168
- Dietary approach to recurrent or chronic hyperkalaemia in patients with decreased kidney function.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 261
- Achieving the benefits of a high-potassium, Paleolithic diet, without the toxicity.Mayo Clinic Proc. 2016; 91: 496-508
- A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Dietary approaches in the management of diabetic patients with kidney disease.Nutrients. 2017; 9: 824
- Potassium additives and bioavailability: are we missing something in hyperkalemia management?.J Ren Nutr. 2019; 29: 350-353
- Dialysate potassium and mortality in a prospective hemodialysis cohort.Am J Nephrol. 2018; 47: 415-423
- Serum potassium and the long interdialytic interval: minding the gap.Am J kidney Dis. 2017; 70: 4-7
- Dialysis prescription and sudden death.Semin Nephrol. 2018; 38: 570-581
- Implications of the long interdialytic gap: a problem of excess accumulation vs. excess removal?.Kidney Int. 2015; 88: 442-444
- Dietary potassium intake and mortality in long-term hemodialysis patients.Am J kidney Dis. 2010; 56: 338-347
- Thyroid status, quality of life, and mental health in patients on hemodialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 1274-1283
- Association of adiponectin with body composition and mortality in hemodialysis patients.Am J kidney Dis. 2015; 66: 313-321
- Thyroid status and mortality in a prospective hemodialysis cohort.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 102: 1568-1577
- Association of growth differentiation factor 15 with mortality in a prospective hemodialysis cohort.Cardiorenal Med. 2017; 7: 158-168
- Assessment and analysis services, nutrition quest.(Available at:)http://www.nutritionquest.com/assessment/list-of-questionnaires-and-screeners/Date accessed: December 29, 2018
- Dietary assessment of individuals with chronic kidney disease.Semin Dial. 2010; 23: 359-364
- Nutrition quest.(Available at:)www.Nutritionquest.comDate accessed: December 29, 2018
- Validation of a food frequency questionnaire for Hispanics.Preventing chronic Dis. 2006; 3: A77
- Sodium and potassium intake and risk of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality: the Rotterdam Study.Eur J Epidemiol. 2007; 22: 763-770
- Role of dietary salt and potassium intake in cardiovascular health and disease: a review of the evidence.Mayo Clinic Proc. 2013; 88: 987-995
- 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th edition. 2015.(Available at:)http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelinesDate accessed: December 29, 2018
- Dietary fiber intake: its relation with glycation end products and arterial stiffness in end-stage renal disease patients.J Ren Nutr. 2019; 29: 136-142
- AGA technical review: impact of dietary fiber on colon cancer occurrence.Gastroenterology. 2000; 118: 1235-1257
- Fruit and vegetable intake and mortality in adults undergoing maintenance hemodialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019; 14: 250-260
- Sodium zirconium cyclosilicate in hyperkalemia.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 222-231
- Patiromer in patients with kidney disease and hyperkalemia receiving RAAS inhibitors.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 211-221
- Estimated dietary sodium intake in peritoneal dialysis patients using food frequency questionnaires and total urinary and peritoneal sodium losses and assessment of extracellular volumes.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2019; 73: 105-111
- Association of dietary phosphorus intake and phosphorus to protein ratio with mortality in hemodialysis patients.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 683-692
- Dietary patterns and mortality in a multinational cohort of adults receiving hemodialysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2020; 75: 361-372
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Support: The authors are supported by the research grants from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Overseas Challenge Program for Young Researchers (Y.N.) and the NIH / NIDDK including K23-DK102903 (C.M.R.) and R03-DK114642 (C.M.R.). Resources for the study were also provided by the NIH / NIDDK grant K24-DK091419 (K.K.Z.).
ClinicalTrials.gov Study Number: NCT01415570.
Portions of this study were presented as an abstract at the 2018 Society on Sarcopenia, Cachexia and Wasting Disorders, December 7-9, 2018, Maastricht, The Netherlands and as an abstract at the 2019 American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week Meeting, November 5-10, 2019, Washington, DC.