Design and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- KDOQI clinical practice guideline for nutrition in CKD: 2020 update.Am J Kidney Dis. 2020; 76: S1-S107
- The effect of a diet containing 70% protein from plants on mineral metabolism and musculoskeletal health in chronic kidney disease.Am J Nephrol. 2014; 40: 582-591
- The “phosphorus pyramid”: a visual tool for dietary phosphate management in dialysis and CKD patients.BMC Nephrol. 2015; 16: 9
- KDOQI Clinical practice guidelines for nutrition in chronic renal failure.Am J Kidney Dis. 2000; 35: 1
- KHA-CARI Guideline: early chronic kidney disease: detection, prevention and management.Nephrology (Carlton). 2013; 18: 340-350
- KDIGO 2017 clinical practice guideline update for the diagnosis, evaluation, prevention, and treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD).Kidney Int Suppl. 2017; 7: 1-59
- Effect of food additives on hyperphosphatemia among patients with end-stage renal disease: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2009; 301: 629-635
- The impact of protein type on phosphorus intake, serum phosphate concentrations, and nutrition status in adults with chronic kidney disease: a critical review.Adv Nutr. 2021; 12: 2099-2111
- Low mediterranean diet scores are associated with reduced kidney function and health related quality of life but not other markers of cardiovascular risk in adults with diabetes and chronic kidney disease.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2021; 31: 1445-1453
- The UN decade of nutrition, the NOVA food classification and the trouble with ultra-processing.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 5-17
- Ultra-Processed Foods, Diet Quality, and Health Using the NOVA Classification System.FAO, Rome2019
- The prevalence of phosphorus-containing food additives in top-selling foods in grocery stores.J Ren Nutr. 2013; 23: 265-270.e2
- Canadian nutrient file.https://food-nutrition.canada.ca/cnf-fce/index-eng.jspDate accessed: September 1, 2021
- Dietary sources of phosphorus among adults in the United States: results from NHANES 2001–2014.Nutrients. 2017; 9: 95
- Trends in total, added, and natural phosphorus intake in adult Americans, NHANES 1988–1994 to NHANES 2015–2016.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 2249
- Pilot randomized controlled trial of a standard versus a modified low-phosphorus diet in hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int Rep. 2020; 5: 1945-1955
- Health effects of dietary risks in 195 countries, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1958-1972
- Healthy lifestyle and mortality among adults receiving hemodialysis: the DIET-HD study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2022; 79: 688-698.e1
- Nutrient non-equivalence: does restricting high-potassium plant foods help to prevent hyperkalemia in hemodialysis patients?.J Ren Nutr. 2016; 26: 282-287
- Is it time to abandon the nutrient-based renal diet model?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2021; 36: 574-577
- Phosphorus-containing food additives and the accuracy of nutrient databases: implications for renal patients.J Ren Nutr. 2007; 17: 350-354
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Support: There was no financial support for the creation of this manuscript. Outside the submitted work, CR also reports grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) among others. DRM is currently funded by the CIHR , Kidney Foundation of Canada and several other agencies. KP received funding from CIHR and the Kidney Foundation of Canada . None are relevant to this paper submission.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.